Sunday, October 26, 2008

Moliagul, Victoria



Saturday just gone, hubby and I went on another day trip to Central Victoria. This time we went a little further on from Castlemaine. I wanted to capture the terrain where gold was and is still found. Unfortunately the sun wasn't shining and the colors are not as true to the Australian landscape as I has hoped to capture. The day was hot, humid, windless and sunless, but the photos tell their own story.

Funny how differently men and women see things. I saw so many possible photographs as we were driving and when I asked to stop, hubby's comment was "that looks a bit boring". But on instinct I got him to stop and some of those spur of the moment pics turned out quite well.

I had a great time and took so many different snaps of the landscape in this area. It's a diverse area and I hope the photos show that diversity.

The first five photos are of the historical goldfields around Moliagul, all those holes are diggings, many times scoured for alluvial gold. One of the biggest nuggets in the world, The Welcome Stranger, was found in this area. That nugget weighed 210lbs gross. My man is not squatting in that hole for no reason. He is trying to figure out if these over worked holes have any riches waiting to be found by one hopeful bloke...(Aussie idiom for a man)

The rocks below are Rose Quartz and when polished are the most beautiful shades of pink, the funny green stuff is Lichen growing on the side of a hole.



























































































This group of photos made me wonder who lived here a 100 years or so ago. As I walked around the ruins, the solitude and distance from anywhere brought to mind the isolation people used to live in. No electricity, cars, phones, medical centres or computers. Not really any neighbors either.































































































These next photos were some of the spur of the moment, "Stop the car I want pics of this". They are absolutely the epitome of this country's sheep farming industry. Anywhere you find sheep pretty much looks like this. Two months ago it was all velvety green, as you can see we really are in drought.

8 comments:

Evey Brown said...

That is some dry soil on the last picture Eaton. I love the pictures, they are very interesting. I find the climate is quite similar to Utah's. We raise a lot of sheep here too.
Can't wait to see the next bunch you take! E

Betty said...

This looks so similar to our area, I can hardly believe it! With the drought and everything! Only one differance. We have cattle roaming the fields and you have many sheep.
I loved these pictures! Thanks for posting them.
You are blessed with a great husband who stops the car, when you say "stop". Mine just keeps on driving and smiles....

Kelly said...

Fabulous! I look forward to each set of pics!!

Mary said...

I am struck by the desolate beauty that you capture in your pictures. I'm glad that you're sharing them. It allows me a glimpse into your life.

I hope you get some rain soon!

Patti said...

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed viewing all the wonderful pictures you have taken!

karin said...

Interesting pictures! Wow, it's dry! After 42 years of marriage my hubby still asks, "Do you really need to go?" when I ask him to stop at the next place because I just need to pee. I can just imagine what he'd say if I wanted to stop and take pictures, LOL!

Greyscale Territory said...

Enjoyed your series of shots!

You are inspiring me to go further afield than my Mornington Peninsula! I love the odd subjects in the odd places!

And thank you for your delightful comment on my blog!

Robin said...

You've got a great eye. That's not boring at all, that's some really interesting countryside, and the one with the chimney is great - amazing how that's the only thing left standing. Nice capture.